Gold Brocade Bash Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Brocade Bash Problems

As a preface, I don't feel like pyropoking and ematching every cake is a safe or time-savvy way of ematching consumer cakes. I dont like the idea of poking into cakes and then cramming an ematch in and just calling that safe. If I have 15 cases (100 ematches) of value brand cakes it doesn't make a whole lot of sense financially when I can just use QM branching and then use 1 ematch for each "taped and staked" pod of fireworks. Typically it ranges from 4-6 fireworks in one "pod".

The way that I have been "getting ready" for ematch use is to take a length of QM, pipe it on the fuse and then put two lengths of tape to secure it at the base. Then I take the other cakes that are going into the "pod" and i press the QM pipes against the face of the other cakes, then tape it all together, so it stays secure.

Using this method, I am having an ignition problem with mostly Victory brand value stuff, and would like your take on how to solve it. I usually use 6 or so cases of victory 200/350 gram cakes in my finale and Ill always have 3 GBB in which the fuse burns up to the tube and stops there. This year I had six. This was above my "eh. ill use it next year" threshold. It was almost a case of failures.

I am using that awful perc based QM. I know it is because its chalky grey rather than black like black powder blackmatch. Its way too violent. I have had a few cakes that were singed by the QM but did not burn the cakes 2" worth of visco fuse. I think I need to reinforce the tape that secures the QM to the visco fuse, so it stays on the fuse and ignites the QM.

This theory does not explain the 10 cakes I had that were 200 gram Victory house brand that burned fuse up to cardboard tube and stopped there. Could this perc based QM be *so violent* that it whips and squeezes the fuse and then chokes it out? Or is this just Victory cheaping out on their product? Keeping in mind I've had no failures of this type for World Class, Cutting edge, Brothers, the 500 gram victory house brand, Winda and every single lacquered visco I've ever used.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't ematch - or poke - but simply handlight all pyro products.
    Gold Brocade Bash has always been our fav gold cake. But haven't shot one yet out of this year batch- hope at least the green visco and internal fuses are good. Will Find out in a couple weeks when we do a 50th BDay for Henrys daughter
    Member of Pa Pyro Artists, Cracker Jacks, WNYPA, NLPC, NFA
    PGI certified
    Owner of Kneppys Fireworks. LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Comment

Originally posted by Kwijibo View Post
      As a preface, I don't feel like pyropoking and ematching every cake is a safe or time-savvy way of ematching consumer cakes. I dont like the idea of poking into cakes and then cramming an ematch in and just calling that safe. If I have 15 cases (100 ematches) of value brand cakes it doesn't make a whole lot of sense financially when I can just use QM branching and then use 1 ematch for each "taped and staked" pod of fireworks. Typically it ranges from 4-6 fireworks in one "pod".

The way that I have been "getting ready" for ematch use is to take a length of QM, pipe it on the fuse and then put two lengths of tape to secure it at the base. Then I take the other cakes that are going into the "pod" and i press the QM pipes against the face of the other cakes, then tape it all together, so it stays secure.

Using this method, I am having an ignition problem with mostly Victory brand value stuff, and would like your take on how to solve it. I usually use 6 or so cases of victory 200/350 gram cakes in my finale and Ill always have 3 GBB in which the fuse burns up to the tube and stops there. This year I had six. This was above my "eh. ill use it next year" threshold. It was almost a case of failures.

I am using that awful perc based QM. I know it is because its chalky grey rather than black like black powder blackmatch. Its way too violent. I have had a few cakes that were singed by the QM but did not burn the cakes 2" worth of visco fuse. I think I need to reinforce the tape that secures the QM to the visco fuse, so it stays on the fuse and ignites the QM.

This theory does not explain the 10 cakes I had that were 200 gram Victory house brand that burned fuse up to cardboard tube and stopped there. Could this perc based QM be *so violent* that it whips and squeezes the fuse and then chokes it out? Or is this just Victory cheaping out on their product? Keeping in mind I've had no failures of this type for World Class, Cutting edge, Brothers, the 500 gram victory house brand, Winda and every single lacquered visco I've ever used.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      Very easy way to solve your problem using a QM pipe piece, slice the cake fuse with an exacto knife or razor blade and make it look like a snake tongue,
      then fold 1 half of it over so the gunpowder core is exposed, then slide the QM pipe over the sliced cake fuse, This will solve your problem. After using this method
      I have never had an ignition problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashfuse View Post

Very easy way to solve your problem using a QM pipe piece, slice the cake fuse with an exacto knife or razor blade and make it look like a snake tongue,
        then fold 1 half of it over so the gunpowder core is exposed, then slide the QM pipe over the sliced cake fuse, This will solve your problem. After using this method
        I have never had an ignition problem.
        Yeah QM bridges are the way to go. ematch on one side, cake fuse on the other, a few squares of tape and you're golden.

some fuses are stubborn... but if you are cutting the cake visco at an angle (to expose the powder core) it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

Yeah QM bridges are the way to go. ematch on one side, cake fuse on the other, a few squares of tape and you're golden.

some fuses are stubborn... but if you are cutting the cake visco at an angle (to expose the powder core) it shouldn't be an issue.
          Hmmm... Im not doing the powder core cut thing, I should probably do this.

Comment

yeah think about it like this...

fuse is just a tube of loose powder held in place by a weave of thin strings. when you cut fuse sometimes you're just sorta pushing the powder up into that tube of string and then pinching it closed where you cut it.

if you cut it on an angle, and make sure to not let it pinch closed, you should expose a lot more of that powder core and thus give that passfire a place to go.

might be your only problem

good luck.
            Last edited by Stoney; 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X