Rise Time for mines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise Time for mines...

If you are going to launch mines on the downbeats in a riff of music, how much time do you fire the match before the down beat?

I recently watched a video where the mines seemed to lag behind the beat. But watching the same video in super slow motion you could see that the ignition was perfectly timed. It looks like these mines took about a half second to reach maximum height. So do you time this based on first visible effect (about a third of the way up) or full height or ?

Neil

I was told by some seasoned pyros that have been doing this way longer then I have to adjust prefire times to .20
    This is what I'm using this year
    Last edited by UP_PyroMan23; 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

That sounds like a good rule of thumb. We did some more analysis on the video, and these particular 3" mines "First Light" is around .25 seconds from ignition. I believe this might be bigger for larger size mines, and may need to adjusted upward for size as well. I suspect that the igniter layer on the stars burns dark and that is the reason for the perceived delay.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
        If you are going to launch mines on the downbeats in a riff of music, how much time do you fire the match before the down beat?

I recently watched a video where the mines seemed to lag behind the beat. But watching the same video in super slow motion you could see that the ignition was perfectly timed. It looks like these mines took about a half second to reach maximum height. So do you time this based on first visible effect (about a third of the way up) or full height or ?

Neil
        If you watch this video you can see the fireball leaves the gun way before the stars do

It's almost as if some of the stars aren't catching passfire until they are flying through that lingering fireball. And you can see there is a sort of "delay" to the stars after they light, but thats almost imperceptible at normal speed.

(props to nighthawk for the killer fireworks+slow-mo creator collaboration)

There's also the matter of how much "delay" is being introduced by the ignition method... are you direct matching the lift or are you just using the QM and crossing your fingers?

There is only one real way to be sure to have the mines hitting exactly where you want them, you need to do a test. Just direct match three of them and shoot one exactly when you think you should, one slightly before and one slightly after...

When you watch the film of the test you'll have a good benchmark on the timing of the effect and a good measure on how far ahead or behind you need to adjust.

I know thats not what you wanted to hear but honestly if you want to know for sure it's the only way you'll know.

comets and mines are really cool when done right, but they are very noticable when they are even just a hair off... so best to test to be sure eh?

Comment

Working...
        X