Cobra 18M - quick plug retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobra 18M - quick plug retrofit

Figured I’d post a useful first post. I upgraded my 18M’s to quick plugs the other day. Here’s how. It’s really simple

do you know the name of the plug the firewire / e-match are crimped to ? and the idc tool to crimp ?

Comment

Originally posted by dave321 View Post
      do you know the name of the plug the firewire / e-match are crimped to ? and the idc tool to crimp ?
      They’re 2-pin MTA 100 connectors. You can get all the bits on Digikey. Mine are arriving tomorrow.

Comment

hi, thanks for that.
        do you need the special crimp tool for the receptacle or can you "get away" without one ? the tool seems quite expensive.
        I presume you are connecting any ematches using the receptacle and not the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by dave321 View Post
          hi, thanks for that.
          do you need the special crimp tool for the receptacle or can you "get away" without one ? the tool seems quite expensive.
          I presume you are connecting any ematches using the receptacle and not the plug.
          I got this tool. No cheap but cheaper than the trigger grip and crimped. Let’s see how it works.
          http://d.digikey.com/o002p00Al10P5SR3HKX7PN0

Comment

thats what i was looking at
            i might get someone to 3d print one, should be doable with the right dimensions
            any chance you could measure the business end for me ?
            the instructions only have some of the end dimensions.
            thanks for identifying the MTA connectors cobra are using

Comment

The guys at Cobra said that the generic crimper does not work as well as they would like, so they built their own crimping tool, and make their own, or have MJG make them. They also use a drop of hot melt to help hold the wires tight. The first batch of ones made with the standard crimper had issues with the wires coming loose unnder stress, but the new ones appear much better. I just bought one of the quick plug slats to test out, so I will know soon what I think of them.

I believe that they also sell the initiators for a close price with or without the connectors now in order to help grow the market, but you can check. I will just buy them premade from Cobra. I got some to test and will see how they work. With the slat adapter, it is easy to prewire the quickconnect initiators, then just connect the cable to the module. So a simpler way to use the quick connects rather then change the module out. And the M18 quick connecot slat was very reasonable, about $25, I think. So that is a very simple way to add the quickconnect feature, if you already have the slat adapters.

Comment

I just tested a quickplug connector slat. It worked perfectly, all 18 cues fired, with no issues (other than I almost forgot to sync the module before the show, Doh) But the plugs are quick and easy, and that saved some time on a large, complex show, which is nice. If you really want to use this, I would suggest buying the M72 and just using the small quick plug slats, which only cost about $25 each, that would let you do 72 cues with one module, a few small slats, and quick setup. I used a similar setup to that this weekend, which allowed me to fire a lot of shells (> 100) with only 2 modules, and a fast setup time. Also, after the show, you can pull the modules quickly, getting the slats later. This is also great if you have a module issue, you can swap the slat wire to a backup module in a minute or two, and move forward with the show..

Comment

Working...
                X