Feedback please on an idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback please on an idea.

Hi Guys, I have come up with a design for holding cakes instead of using glue, liquid nail, or duct tape. Its completely modular and can hold round cakes, fan cakes, even NOAB. It will be reusable over and over. I was wondering if its something I should try and market, and share with the Pyro world. I have tested the prototype several times and has worked flawlessly. I'm not ready to release details just yet as im not sure if anyone would be interested in it. Let me know guys, if Its something I should move forward with. If there is enough interest in it I will release more details.

Rouse,
    If you think you got an unique niche in pyro accessories, go with your intuition. I know for myself, the less things I have to pack for a shoot, the better off I am. I'm fine with stakes or tape. That's me. For someone else, they may like every contraption that comes along. Many folk are making single shot racks, slice racks, fuel mine tubes, quick clips for Cobra mods, and so on. Throw it out there and see what happens. You'll never know unless you try. That's my two cents.
    President- Bluegrass Pyrotechnic Guild
    Registered Ohio Assistant

Comment

Ask yourself the following questions:

-How much would it cost to manufacture the item?
      -Now how much will marketing, testing, packaging, and shipping costs?

To make the item worth your time and effort, aim for a 4x-5x markup of total cost to deliver the item. (I just assumed a ballpark multiplier)

-What is the resulting price?

Now let's look from the consumers' perspective....

-Is the time saved (i.e. set up) or material saved (less tape, liquid nails, etc) worth the price of the item?
      -Can the consumer afford enough of these to conduct the entire show?
      -Can the consumer easily make it themselves and save the money? (and as a result not purchase from you)

If the math works out in your favor, test the product in the field and get feedback from the target audience.

Personally, scrap plywood, liquid nails, duct tape, etc. do the job well, and I can set up the show quick enough for my needs using these items. So I am not likely your target audience. But maybe pyrotechnic companies might be. Depends on what the product actually is, and the cost.

Regardless, if you believe in the product, the market seems in your favor, and you can financially afford to take the risk, it's worth giving it a try! Just remember a little extra research up front can save a few headaches down the road.

Comment

• Shooter
        Shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        Very well- stated bakerCRZ. You sound like a businessman.

Originally posted by Rouse View Post
      Hi Guys, I have come up with a design for holding cakes instead of using glue, liquid nail, or duct tape. Its completely modular and can hold round cakes, fan cakes, even NOAB. It will be reusable over and over. I was wondering if its something I should try and market, and share with the Pyro world. I have tested the prototype several times and has worked flawlessly. I'm not ready to release details just yet as im not sure if anyone would be interested in it. Let me know guys, if Its something I should move forward with. If there is enough interest in it I will release more details.
      Maybe contact Brain Craig? He may be able to help you out with a few questions you might have.
      He sells some really nice single shot racks is a seasoned pyro and a good friend.

Comment

Working...
      X